After browsing online and seeing many dresses, I was very drawn to a particular design. A tank bodice with ruffled skirting. I wanted to try and sew something like it without purchasing any pattern. Hence I used the sorbetto top pattern I had lying around in my sewing room, adjusted the sides by making it straight seams (also omitting the centre pleat) then cut into the batik I had lying in shelf, with the remaining pieces of it used for the skirting. I added lining for the bodice too, using pre-loved cloth from a pair of Indian silk pants once belonging to Brian.
This pullover dress made was really a toile garment which I'd hoped it would turn out okay and still wearable. I gave myself all the chances to make as many mistakes I could as I went along with this project. I did made one mistake though, which I was too lazy to remedy: the only in-seam pocket I wanted to add was inverted.
Here are the sources of my inspiration:
I particularly adore the black cat dress designed by Leah Goren and it is one I'd seen my favourite fashion blogger Erin: Calivintage wore so often. This dress has resulted in me contemplating using stamps+fabric ink on white/plain canvas to create my own fabric pieces. I think I ought to go ahead and get those fabric ink pads already.
After donning the dress on for a short outing to the library yesterday, I found that I like its loose fit but I could make the neckline higher and shorten the bodice a bit more.