Saturday, November 19, 2011

a la tropical dress

a la tropical dress

a la tropical dress


After browsing online and seeing many dresses, I was very drawn to a particular design. A tank bodice with ruffled skirting. I wanted to try and sew something like it without purchasing any pattern. Hence I used the sorbetto top pattern I had lying around in my sewing room, adjusted the sides by making it straight seams (also omitting the centre pleat) then cut into the batik I had lying in shelf, with the remaining pieces of it used for the skirting. I added lining for the bodice too, using pre-loved cloth from a pair of Indian silk pants once belonging to Brian.

This pullover dress made was really a toile garment which I'd hoped it would turn out okay and still wearable. I gave myself all the chances to make as many mistakes I could as I went along with this project. I did made one mistake though, which I was too lazy to remedy: the only in-seam pocket I wanted to add was inverted. 

Here are the sources of my inspiration:

source
source

source

I particularly adore the black cat dress designed by Leah Goren and it is one I'd seen my favourite fashion blogger Erin: Calivintage wore so often. This dress has resulted in me contemplating using stamps+fabric ink on white/plain canvas to create my own fabric pieces. I think I ought to go ahead and get those fabric ink pads already.

After donning the dress on for a short outing to the library yesterday, I found that I like its loose fit but I could make the neckline higher and shorten the bodice a bit more.

me

3 comments:

  1. That is such a cute dress. I love that style. Well done on making up the pattern too. There's something quite satisfying in doing that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress is adorable! Love that blue batik and great job modifying the sorbetto to your needs:) I'm loving that cat print dress too, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute dress! The batik is perfect with the design. I am loving that idea of ink stamping fabric too.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thank you for taking some time out to write me your thoughts.
I truly appreciate it!

If you will like a reply to be sent to your mailbox, do click onto the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.

Best,
Fiona