Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Romantics :: large tote bag

cross-stitched art piece

cross-stitched art piece


Some years back, I mentioned that my father-in-law handed me a plastic bag filled with crafting related items which once belonged to Brian's mother in Palembang. Inside the bag, one of the items was a completed large piece of cross-stitched work; on green plastic-like fabric structure, filled with woollen threads (which tend to cause a slight itch to my nose). I had given it a wash that time and kept it away in my fabric box ever since.

The style of the cross-stitched image reminds me of the Romantic era, quite Shakespeare-ish I must say. It isn't something I could appreciate hanging on the wall in my home, which explained it being stowed away. It's really sad, considering the huge amount of time and effort, I'm sure mom-in-law must have put in to put the piece together, a long time ago.

Then, just yesterday I saw the art piece again. I was clearing my fabric box, for an impending house move. I realized at that moment, I could turn the piece into something user-friendly-me, but still retain its integrity.


Shakespeare-ish bag

'The Romantics' bag


Of course, I sought Brian's permission for doing that. That's me. I gave the cross-stitch a full day morning and noon sun yesterday, and turned it into a large roomy tote bag this morning. I did not cut the art piece one bit, for if, in the future any family member would like to view it in full, it's still possible. I lined the bag with solid cream cotton and for the handles, I used crocheted lace in my collection.

I love how the cross-stitched piece had turned into something I'm proud to carry and bring out. It will certainly come in very handy in my packing-house-mode now and I'm foreseeing the bag hanging pretty, when not in use, on the wall somewhere in my new-to-me house soon.

'The Romantics' bag

4 comments:

  1. Thats a beautiful looking tote...one filled with meaning too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice that you can enjoy the stitching in a practical way now. The piece looks absolutely beautiful as a bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a gorgeous bag. What a wonderful idea for making an everyday use of something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. Its such a beautiful bag.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thank you for taking some time out to write me your thoughts.
I truly appreciate it!

If you will like a reply to be sent to your mailbox, do click onto the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.

Best,
Fiona