Saturday, July 02, 2011

50 pouch project :: first batch of 18

Before:

50 pouch project


After:

50 pouch project

50 pouch project

50 pouch project

50 pouch project


On my last visit home, I promised my mum I'd help her make pouches which she intends to give as year end gifts to her colleagues at her workplace, a public hospital. 50 pouches in all, she asked me to make. That trip home, I found a bag of scrap cloth; mostly remnants of cotton used to make my maternal grandmother's blouses. It was unearthed from the storage room not too long ago by my mother, who once took charged of looking for seamstresses to make clothes for my then elderly on-the-big-side grandma. I told mum I'd used those scraps for some of my pouch making. (see my current blog banner;


                                                for mentioned already-freshly-laundered scrap fabric.)

Mum's response to that was lukewarm. "哪里 美...?". Even Brian shared her less than enthusiastic opinion. Why hold such negative connotations to a bundle of cloth associated to grandma? I was determined to make nice looking pouches out of them.

Last Saturday I cut these fabric pieces up, adding in some from my scrap stash then matched them with my available lot of zippers and lining fabric and interfacing with felt. At a slow and steady pace over the week, I completed the first batch of 18 zippered pouches in  slightly varying sizes. because variety is good. in my book.

4 comments:

  1. That is a lovely idea. And beautiful looking pouches too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the colour schemes are fresh and they are going to make lovely gifts. The floral pouches especially remind me of the well-loved Naraya pouches from Thailand. Who can resist pretty handmade pouches anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pouches are so dainty and sweet, 哪里 不美?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this story esp. 'on the big side grandma.' hehe! but i think your garndma had beautiful taste- those fabrics are lovely, and they make great pouches the way you sew them.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thank you for taking some time out to write me your thoughts.
I truly appreciate it!

If you will like a reply to be sent to your mailbox, do click onto the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.

Best,
Fiona