Wednesday, January 12, 2011

(altered) black sweater

old sweater

reconstructed


Considering that it seems to be the rainy season now and it does get chilly in the mornings every now and then, I thought to turn my old black knit sweater into a size suitable for my two, nearly three year old Kaeden. I have had this sweater for many years, bought for me by Brian when we were still newlyweds. I love the many small buttons down the front and flap pockets. Unfortunately, I could no longer wear it. I'll like to blame the knitted nature of it and that it shrank after many washings.
But I know better.

To alter the sweater, I simply took in the sides and shorten the length, by overlocking the seams and stitching in the hem. I cut the sleeves up to a suitable length, rolled up twice and hand stitched them into place. I also added two pockets, using brown polka dot and black linen for the under side. I thought the pockets helped cheered the otherwise dowdy look of the sweater.


playing golf

playing golf

Have you got an old outer wear you'd like to alter?
Here's a great tutorial: how to refashion a cardigan , I chanced upon.

2 comments:

  1. Super cute, and clever! And he looks like he likes it too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thank you for taking some time out to write me your thoughts.
I truly appreciate it!

If you will like a reply to be sent to your mailbox, do click onto the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.

Best,
Fiona