Thursday, November 11, 2010

almond biscuits

almond biscuits in a jar

almond biscuits

almond biscuits


After the occasional flipping through pages of a book* given to me (thanks Amanda!) while searching for inspirations on entertaining my 2+ year old Kaeden, I had shelved the suggested activity of decorating biscuits in my mind for a later day. Perhaps we haven't had enough of those cookies. The day is today.

Despite the power trip, I lit up my gas oven with a match stick and get moving with the ingredients. I had a pack of almonds brought over from Singapore. Following the simple recipe in the book, I adjusted it a little by adding crushed almonds and a dash of vanilla.  I tried getting Kaeden to help me cut out the biscuits. He did a few and dashed off and occupied himself with other things. I won't give up on getting him interested in baking with me. Anyway, after the biscuits were baked, the house smelled like it was Chinese New Year for a while. It was really really nice.

I packed some of the biscuits fresh off the oven (after it's cooled a bit) into a small jam jar, covered with a piece of paper doily and brought it to visit a cousin who has a new baby in the family and returned home to glace some of the others from the biscuit batch with icing, topped with almonds.

* An Usborne Guide: Entertaining and Educating your preschool child
(I found its later paperback version, available from sellers in amazon.)


Almond biscuits recipe

125g butter
125g white sugar
250g plain flour
half tsp vanilla essence
1 egg
1 handful crushed almonds
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius.
Beat butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl, then add an egg and beat into the mixture. Sift in the flour and salt, and mix. Add into the mixture, the crushed almonds and vanilla essence. Mix to form a ball of dough. Roll out the dough and cut it into shapes. Put them on a greased tray and bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thank you for taking some time out to write me your thoughts.
I truly appreciate it!

If you will like a reply to be sent to your mailbox, do click onto the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.

Best,
Fiona