Friday, October 08, 2010

the green sari dress

the green sari

the green sari dress

the green sari dress


When I found out Colette patterns released a new pattern Crepe, I made up my mind to purchase one on the spot. I love wrap dresses. For sometime I'd been checking out handmade dresses based on Colette patterns and had swooned over some beautiful pieces out there, wondering how I could fill out the bodice which patterns were designed really for, ahem, the well endowed chest. The crepe wrap dress pattern was the ultimatum for me. Never mind about the airy top part. Because the (expensive) postage cost the same for purchasing two patterns as for one, I splurged on the Macaron pattern. okay, that's for later.

I was a bundle of nerves when I started to cut up the paper patterns and there wasn't any less of it (nerves) when the fabric is being cut up next. I decided to use the green thrifted fabric - 100% polyester made to look like silk and also, the longest yardage in my stash. It reminds me of sari, something I had imagined belonging to an Indian lady once. Big mistake. I had a hard time and I wondered why I must subject myself to this steep learning curve again by using a soft fabric like this. When I got to sewing the neck facing, I almost gave up.  I couldn't achieve a neat look and furthermore, without a serger, the seamed edges trimmed with my pinking shears created a very homemade look.

This is my first handmade {"80% there."-Brian} dress. I'm undecided if I would ever wear it out. I'll strive to make a better next one and will leave sewing silk and its likes to the professionals.



Some other notes:

+ Husband Brian entered a short entry to a biking photo contest at EcoVelo.
   go see here.

+ Owl love!
   gorgeous owl illustrations for the 2011 calender, here.
   I'll be happily busy printing and binding those next!


happy weekend.

2 comments:

  1. You have to wear it out! Its definitely something to be proud of :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dress looks great!

    Thank you so much for linking to the Owl Lover calendar :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thank you for taking some time out to write me your thoughts.
I truly appreciate it!

If you will like a reply to be sent to your mailbox, do click onto the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.

Best,
Fiona