Tuesday, December 22, 2009

apples

apple brooches

apple raisin cinnamon cake

my cake and coffee


The forgotten thought of getting breakfast for today made me think on the feet and I decided to bake a cake last evening, knowing I have some apples in the refrigerator, hence an apple raisins cinnamon cake. I like baking at night, when the weather is cooler and I can take my time without distractions from Kaeden as Brian takes over the babysitting. I particularly love the calm and homely feeling emitted by nice cinnamon smell wafting out from the oven to the whole house. The recipe is really my own, sourcing the available ingredients in my pantry and fridge at that moment. The other nice factor of baking at night is that the cake can cool overnight on the table and ready to be eaten for breakfast the next day. Of course I didn't wait. The cake was moist and warm and good with cold milk. If only there is vanilla ice cream in the freezer!

I made two apple brooches this morning. Simple appliques. I suppose they make good stand by present top ups.

------------------------------

Recipe:

Apple Raisins Cinnamon Cake

Ingredients:

230g self-raising flour
150g granulated sugar
1tsp cinnamon powder
1/2tsp nutmeg powder
1/4tsp salt

150g unsalted butter, melted
1 egg, lightly beaten
1tsp vanilla essence
3/4cup milk

1 large apple, coarsely chopped
1tbsp raisins

Directions:

Pre-heat oven (180 deg cel).
Mix flour,sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg powder and salt in a large bowl. Set it aside.
Combine butter, egg, vanilla essence in another bowl. Add chopped apple bits and raisins into the wet ingredients and mix.
Pour the apple mixture into the first bowl of dry ingredients and mix well with a spatula, slowly adding milk into it when mixing.
After which, pour into a non-stick baking pan. (I used a 9.25x5.25x2.75 inch but a smaller 9inch should suffice.)
Bake for 60min.

Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thank you for taking some time out to write me your thoughts.
I truly appreciate it!

If you will like a reply to be sent to your mailbox, do click onto the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.

Best,
Fiona