Friday, October 23, 2009

complain (i) :: Power Outage

From my draft on paper, written yesterday.

---------------------------------------

10.30am

Power trips, one of its many occurrences in Palembang is taking place now as I'm writing. This power outage I'm experiencing right now started since the middle of last night (12am-ish?). I'd fallen asleep and by the time I woke up because of the heat, I realized it was 2am. Kaeden was whining every once in awhile in his sleep for he is used to the comfortable air the air conditioning supplies to us every night.

It was a restless night but I was too groggy to have any emotions for the lack of electricity. Brian was pissed off though. He had to fan us every time Kaeden whined.

Electricity came in the early morning, around 5am. We thought we could sleep well until morning breaks. But it went off again after a short half hour.

What the heck is going on?

After the Indonesian Presidential election, electrical outages have been frequent. Yes, like randomly up to 3 times a week. There were lucky weeks when life is comfortable. But when one blackout happens, I'll have to be prepared for the inconveniences it brings for up to 6 hours.

It has been what, 10 hours already? How long more it will go on?





We're lucky to be able to afford a generator set. One within our budget, good to get the lights on and fans working but not enough for the water pump, rice cooker and refrigerator (I'm concerned about its contents spoiling right now.) We also have a reserve water tank for if the pump, running on electricity doesn't work, we still get a light flow of water coming through the taps. some taps.

Every time when a power trip happens, I get sweaty and uptight for I'm heavily reliant on the fans to keep cool. This rental house we're living in has permanently shut windows to keep out mosquitoes. Very rarely, I feel calm and unbothered when I don't have a constant breeze coming my way in this hot humid weather. How do the local Indonesians feel when they're in such a situation? Maybe blackouts do not affect the poor much as I'd imagine they do not get accustomed to comforts like having fans on all the time. But what about the middle income lot's take on this? Probably helpless they are.

At this point, there probably might be a genuine fault at the power supply station. But I've been through many power trips to not spare the company any credit, or benefit of doubt so to say. The reasons for such frequent power trips as Brian had explained to me, can be easily summed up in a 'c' word.

I'm a Singaporean and Singaporeans are known to be a complain lot among ourselves. Mostly banter to get out of our systems and maybe some taking actions like penning letters to the authorities and media. For life has to go on and after a tiring workday to keep life going, who has the capacity, strength and reserve to fight long battles with the system one is against?

I'm writing a complaint. One of many which I'll likely put up, something I refrain from doing in this blog. So as to keep my views in perspective and if one day, I need to make a pivotal decision for my family and my future, I have these perspectives in mind, my feelings checked and the combination of both, grounded.

--------------------------------------------

The electricity came back at 2pm. Went off again at 5pm and returned about an hour later.
This morning, power outage at 9am and came back after an hour and half.

3 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! Richard has been sending SMSes here complaining but I feel for you much more than him though. At least he can escape to the office and doesn't have a little one to entertain at home. Keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 1 suggestion - get all windows install mosquitos net so that windows can be open!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, of course we did think of that but we don't want to spend any more money on doing up this house that doesn't belong to us. if only there are nets of universal size that we can bring to our future home.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thank you for taking some time out to write me your thoughts.
I truly appreciate it!

If you will like a reply to be sent to your mailbox, do click onto the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.

Best,
Fiona