When I saw the owl baking mould in a supermarket on Sunday, I almost did a happy dance. Bought two of it. I was careless as I only noticed some slight rusting on one mould where the teflon coating didn't cover some small parts of it when I returned home.
I thought the moulds would be good for making kueh bolu~s, one of Brian's favourite snacks. The recipe I used is from the book, Nyonya Specialties, purchased some years back. Just when I put the moulds filled with the batter into the oven, the bottom fire went off! In my exasperated bid to re-lit, I burnt off some skin on my finger on the wire rack inside. Now, this fire vanishing act had happened a few times before and when it didn't occur the last time of baking, I thought it is alright again. The oven must be looked into already!
I had to do my best with the only available top fire and was glad that of the whole batch of batter, some kueh~s did turn out. Honestly, I find the cakes too egg-y tasting. Compared to the ones we can buy from bakeries in Singapore, I'll like the recipe to be sweeter and more floury. Will attempt more tries until I get the "perfect" kueh~s.
My bad luck with the oven resulted in a burnt second batch attempt! Brian went to dish out the unburnt parts to eat. What a mouse! He took a photo of a super black owl on his hand.