Sunday, August 09, 2009

marmer~ cake (auntie's marble cake)



On the oven update: I had the oven mechanics took a look at it. There wasn't anything wrong. It simply has an automatic fire off sensor when the oven reaches the desired temperature. Ahhh... I see.... Then I got puzzled. Isn't the fire suppose to be kept on so as to keep the temperature constant?

Today I'm lucky to learn how to really bake from my Indonesian relative. Auntie Siew Seng has taught me how to cook quite a few Palembang dishes. I told her it's so much better to learn directly from someone rather than flipping through a cookbook. I'm always thinking of signing up a baking class. So... the thing is, I learn from auntie that when it comes to baking cakes and cookies, I do not need to use the top fire of my gas oven. Ah ha... the goon is finally enlightened!



The recipe below which I'll like to safekeep here.

-----------------------------------------------

marmer~ cake

Ingredients:

9 egg yolks
6 egg whites
195gr 'Blue Band' margarine
180gr 'Wysman' pure dutch (salted) butter
300gr powder sugar
260gr wheat flour
1 tbspn cocoa powder
1 tspn vanilla essence

Directions:

Preheat oven (180 deg cel).
Grease bundt pan using margarine and flour it.
In a bowl, combine and beat butter and margarine and sugar.
Add one egg yolk into the mixture, one at a time. Mix until the batter becomes creamy.
In another bowl, beat egg whites until aerated.
Add flour into mixture and mix with a spatula.
Then add aerated egg whites, a dollop at a time into the mixture.
Mix with spatula until even.
Add vanilla essence.

Sieve cocoa powder onto a big clean plate.
Use 1/3 of the cake mixture and mix it with the sieved cocao powder until it becomes a chocolate batter.
Pour most of the remaining cake mixture into the bundt pan, then the chocolate mixture, then the rest of the mixture.
Even out the top and use the handle of a spoon and twirl into the batter.
Put the pan into oven for 45min, or until cooked.

---------------------------

At this point, I'd like to add that my oven took more than the estimated 45min. Close to 1 hour and a half! The thermostat is certainly inaccurate as the fire was too weak and I had to turn the dial up. Looks like I have to get an oven thermometer.

2 comments:

  1. This looks good, like the swirl you created. Recently I have been lazy... no sewing no baking....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Fiona! I love your works!
    Hope you will consider putting more Table Calender goodness at the shop!
    xoxo
    Xin

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thank you for taking some time out to write me your thoughts.
I truly appreciate it!

If you will like a reply to be sent to your mailbox, do click onto the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.

Best,
Fiona