Sunday, January 25, 2009

a library member

The days while I'm here in Singapore with Kaeden, in my opinion, have been fulfilling to my best efforts. The best parts of our time were of those spent with family and so far, a close friend. I'm reserving time with friends when Brian joins us in 2 days.

It's the eve of the Lunar New Year today. So the two of us set out to my parents' place after lunch at home. We'll be having reunion dinner with Kaeden's maternal grandparents and uncle tonight. But before reaching their home, we stopped by the library. I wanted to borrow some books and at the same time see if I could register Kaeden as a library member.

I guess one of the reasons I love being a Sinagporean is the easy availability and convenient locations of libraries islandwide and the wide selection of old and new books. When I enquired what documents were required for registering Kaeden, I was assisted by a friendly staff. I could actually easily register Kaeden at a machine by keying his citizen identity number, name and my contact details and shortly after, a name printed plastic library card dropped at a slot. At that point, I really felt like a mountain turtle. I didn't know of such technology and convenience as for the longest time, I've been using my identity card to borrow books at the borrowing counters operated by again, machines.



I'll be appalled if one day, a freebie would be dispensed by machine after registering as a new reader. Luckily, I still get to enjoy the 'human touch' by having the friendly lady staff assist me in checking out 4 new library books which I picked out for Kaeden and later, handing me a handy bag to celebrate Kaeden's membership.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, thank you for taking some time out to write me your thoughts.
I truly appreciate it!

If you will like a reply to be sent to your mailbox, do click onto the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.

Best,
Fiona