Thursday, May 24, 2007

working on it



After so many months since my resolution, I start my lesson learning Bahasa Indonesia today, alas. Within the first hour, my mind was swirling already with so many words and the methods of sentence construction. I realize the mistakes I've been making since speaking this language and the difference of some words used between formal and informal. Tough but fun.

My teacher (guru saya), I found out through our conversations in english and bahasa Indonesia, of course, is a chinese and speaks mandarin. It's something you can never tell by appearance around here. He and I share the same chinese surname and to my pleasant surprise, is a hainanese descendent as well.

This little discovery makes me think of my dear paternal grandparents and I wonder what were the deciding factors that made Mr David's ancestors chose to migrate here. As a kid, my grandma used to tell me stories of how she came from Hainan Island to Singapore and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to them. My memory of her sitting on the rocking chair and me on the floor imagining the ship she was in, in the rough seas. She still looks the same now albeit older and I so hope her knees are not giving her too much pain.

I cut up some fabric from scaps for brooches which I'll be working on the next few days. Till then, I hope you have nice weathers wherever you may be and have warm, cozy memories to think of.

1 comment:

  1. hey glad to hear you are taking language lessons, I really admire people who can speak more than one language.

    I like seeing the in progress photos of what you are working on... its so interesting to see the methods people use ... you are so tidy and organised!

    -kimberleee

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thank you for taking some time out to write me your thoughts.
I truly appreciate it!

If you will like a reply to be sent to your mailbox, do click onto the "Subscribe by email" link under this comment box.

Best,
Fiona